Manuscripts in review
K.L. Larson, E. Corley, S.J. Hall, A. York, R. Andrade, D. Childers, P. Coseo, D. Hondula, andS. Meerow. Subjective evaluations of ecosystem services and disservices: an approach to creating robust survey scales. Ecology and Society, in review.
J. Padullés Cubino, J. Cavender-Bares, S. E. Hobbie, D.E. Pataki, M.L. Avolio, L.E. Darling, K.L. Larson, S.J. Hall, P.M. Groffman, T.L.E. Trammell, M.K. Steele, J.M. Grove& C. Neill. Contribution of exotic plants to the phylogenetic homogenization of US yard floras. Ecological Applications, in review.
J. Padullés Cubino, J. Cavender-Bares, S. E. Hobbie, D.E. Pataki, M.L. Avolio, L.E. Darling, K.L. Larson, S.J. Hall, P.M. Groffman, T.L.E. Trammell, M.K. Steele, J.M. Grove& C. Neill. Drivers of plant richness and phylogenetic composition in urban yards at the continental scale. Landscape Ecology, in review.
T.L.E. Trammell, D.E. Pataki, C. J. Still, J.R. Ehleringer,M.L. Avolio, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, P.M. Groffman, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, J. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, K. L. Larson, J.L. Morse, C. Neill, K. C. Nelson, J. O’Neil-Dunne, W.D. Pearse, R. Roy Chowdhury, M. Steele, M.M. Wheeler. Biophysical and social factors control the distribution of C4plants in residential lawns across seven U.S. cities. Ecological Applications, in review.
Manuscripts in revision
M.L. Word, S.J. Hall, B. Robinson, B. Manneh, A. Beye, and A.J. Cease.Adding a soil fertility dimension to locust and grasshopper management: a case study in West Africa. Science of the Total Environment, in revision.
Published peer-reviewed articles
- B.A. Ball, M.P. Christman, and S.J. Hall. 2018. Nutrient dynamics during photodegradation of plant litter in the Sonoran Desert. Journal of Arid Environments, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2018.09.004.
- S.J. Hall, D.P. Huber, R. Flint Hughes. Invasion of Hawaiian rainforests by an introduced amphibian predator and N2-fixing tree increases soil N2O emissions. Ecosphere, in press.
- D. Locke, C. Polsky, M. Avolio, T. Trammell, R.R. Chowdhury, J. M. Grove, J. Rogan, D.E. Martin, N.D. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, P. Groffman, S.J. Hall, J.B. Heffernan, , S.E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, J. Morse, C. Neill, L Ogden, J. O’Neill-Dunne, D. Pataki, W. Pearse, C. Polsky, M.M. Wheeler. 2018. A Multi-City Comparison of Front and Backyard Differences in Plant Species Diversity and Nitrogen Cycling in Residential Landscapes. Landscape and Urban Planning, 178:102-11.
- J.R. Blaszczak,M.K. Steele, B.D. Badgley, J.B. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, J.L. Morse, E.N. Rivers, S.J. Hall, C. Neill, D. Pataki, P.M. Groffman, and E.S. Bernhardt. Sediment Chemistry of Urban Stormwater Ponds and Controls on Denitrification. Ecosphere 9(6): e02318. doi.org/10.1002/ecs2.2318.
- E.M Cook, R.A. Sponseller, N.B. Grimm, and S.J. Hall. 2018. Mixed method approach to assess atmospheric nitrogen deposition in arid and semi-arid ecosystems. Environmental Pollution, 239: 617-630.
- W.D. Pearse, J. Cavender-Bares, S.E. Hobbie, M.L. Avolio, N. Bettez, R. Roy Chowdhury, L.E. Darling, P.M. Groffman, M. Grove, S.J. Hall,J.B. Heffernan, J. Learned, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, D.E. Pataki, B.L. Ruddell, M.K. Steele, and T. Trammell. 2018. Homogenization of plant diversity, composition and structure in North American urban yards. Ecosphere,9(2).
- P.M. Groffman, M. Avolio, J. Cavender-Bares, N.D. Bettez, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, S.E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, S.B. Lerman, D. Locke, J. Heffernan, J.L. Morse, C. Neill, K. Nelson, J. O’Neil-Dunne, D. Pataki, C. Polsky, R.V. Pouyat, R. Roy Chowdhury, M. Steele and T. Trammell. 2017. Ecological homogenization of residential macrosystems. Nature Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1038/s41559-017-0191.
- M. Wheeler, C. Neill, P.M. Groffman, M. Avolio, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, R. Roy Chowdhury, L. Darling, J.M. Grove,S.J. Hall, J. B. Heffernan, S. E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, J. L. Morse, K.C. Nelson, L. Ogden, J.P.M. O’Neil-Dunne, D.E. Pataki, C. Polsky, M. Steele, and T. Trammell. 2017. Continental-scale homogenization of residential lawn plant communities. Landscape and Urban Planning, 165:54-62.
- A. Sullivan, A.M. York, D.D. White, S.J. Hall, and S.T. Yabiku. 2017. De jure versus de facto institutions: trust, information, and collective efforts to manage the invasive mile-a-minute weed (Mikania micrantha). International Journal of the Commons. 11(1):171-199.
- A. Sullivan, A.M. York; L. An, S.T. Yabiku, and S.J. Hall. 2017. How does perception at multiple levels influence collective action in the commons? The case of Mikania micranthain Chitwan, Nepal. Forest Policy and Economics, 80(2017): 1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.forpol.2017.03.0012017
- M.R. McHale, S.J. Hall, A. Majumdar, and N.B. Grimm. 2017. Carbon lost and carbon gained: A study of vegetation and carbon tradeoffs among diverse land uses in Phoenix, AZ. Ecological Applications, 27(2), 2017, pp. 644–661.
- H. Heavenrich and S.J. Hall. 2016. Elevated soil nitrogen pools after conversion of turfgrass to water-efficient residential landscapes. Environmental Research Letters, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/8/084007.
- P.M. Groffman, J. Cavender-Bares, N. Bettez, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, J. B. Heffernan, S. E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, D. Locke, J. L. Morse, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, J.P.M. O’Neil-Dunne, L. Ogden, D.E. Pataki, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury. 2016. Satisfaction, water and fertilizer use in the American residential macrosystem. Environmental Research Letters, 11: 034004.
- T.L.E. Trammell, D.E. Pataki, J. Cavender-Bares, P. Groffman, S.J. Hall, J.B. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, J.L. Morse, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson. 2016. Plant nitrogen concentration and isotopic composition in residential lawns across seven U.S. cities Oecologia 181(1): 271-285. DOI 10.1007/s00442-016-3566-9.
- S.J. Hall, J. Learned, B. Ruddell, K.L. Larson, J. Cavender-Bares, N. Bettez, P.M. Groffman, J.M. Grove, J.B. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, J.O. Morse, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, J.P.M. O’Neil-Dunne, L. Ogden, D.E. Pataki, W.D. Pearse, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury, M.K. Steele, T.L.E. Trammell. 2016. Convergence of microclimate in residential landscapes across diverse cities in the United States. Landscape Ecology31(1), 101-17.
- K.L. Larson, K. C. Nelson, *S. R. Samples,
S. J. Hall, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares,
P. M. Groffman, J.M. Grove, J. B. Heffernan, S. E. Hobbie, J. Learned, J. L. Morse, C. Neill, L. A. Ogden, J. O’Neil-Dunne, D. E. Pataki, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury, M. Steele, T. L. E. Trammell. 2015. Ecosystem services in managing residential landscapes: Priorities, value dimensions, and cross-regional patterns. Urban Ecosystems, DOI 10.1007/s11252-015-0477-1.
- **M. Davis, *E. Cook, S. Collins, and S.J. Hall. 2015. Top-down vs. bottom-up regulation of herbaceous primary production and composition in an arid, urbanizing ecosystem. Journal of Arid Environments, 116; 103-114. doi:10.1016/j.jaridenv.2015.01.018.
- *Y. Marusenko, F. Garcia-Pichel, and S.J. Hall. 2015. Ammonia-oxidizing archaea respond positively to inorganic N addition in desert soils. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 91(2):1-11.
- W.D. Shuster, S.D. Dadio, C.E. Burkman, S.R. Earl, and S.J. Hall. 2015. Hydropedological assessments of parcel-level infiltration in an arid urban ecosystem. Soil Science Society of America Journal, doi:10.2136/sssaj2014.05.0200.
- C. Zhang, X. Li, D. Niu, S.J. Hall, C. Wan. 2014. Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration components and their temperature sensitivities in a semiarid grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry75, 113-123.
- C. Polsky, J.M. Grove, C. Knudson, P.M. Groffman, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, S.J. Hall, J.B. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, J.L. Morse, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, L.A. Ogden, J. O’Neil-Dunne, D.E. Pataki, R. Roy Chowdhury and M.K. Steele. 2014. Assessing the homogenization of urban land management with an application to US residential lawn care. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,111(12): 4432-4437. doi/10.1073/pnas.1323995111.
- M. K. Steele, J. B. Heffernan, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, P. M. Groffman, J. M. Grove, S. Hall, S. E. Hobbie, K. Larson, J. L. Morse, C. Neill, K. C. Nelson, J. O'Neil-Dunne, L. Ogden, D. E. Pataki, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury. 2014. Convergent surface water distributions in U.S. cities. Ecosystems, February: 1-13. doi: 10.1007/s10021-014-9751-y.
- P.M. Groffman, J. Cavender-Bares, N.D. Bettez, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, J.B. Heffernan, S.E. Hobbie, Kelli L Larson, Jennifer L Morse1, Christopher Neill, K. Nelson, Jarlath O’Neil-Dunne, L. Ogden, D.E. Pataki, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury, M.K. Steele. 2014. Ecological homogenization of urban America. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 12(1): 74–81, doi:10.1890/120374.
- *D.K.Nakase., A.S. Hartshorn, K.A. Spielmann, and S.J. Hall. 2014. Eolian deposition and soil fertility in a prehistoric agricultural complex in central Arizona. Geoarchaeology, 29: 79-97. doi 10.1002/gea.21463.
- S.J. Hall, J. Trujillo, D. Nakase, C. Strawhacker, M. Kruse-Peeples, H. Schaafsma, and J. Briggs. 2013. Legacies of prehistoric agricultural practices within plant and soil properties across an arid ecosystem. Ecosystems. doi 10.1007/s10021-013-9681-0.
- Y. Marusenko, D.P. Huber, and S.J. Hall. 2013. Fungi mediate nitrous oxide production but not ammonia oxidation in arid and semi-arid soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 63: 24-36.
- C. Boone, E. Cook, , S.J. Hall, N.B. Grimm, C. Raish, D. Finch, M. Nation, and A. York. A comparative gradient approach to understanding and managing urban ecosystems. 2012. Urban Ecosystems,DOI 10.1007/s11252-012-0240-9.
- Sponseller, RA., S.J. Hall, D. Huber, N.B. Grimm, J.P. Kaye, C. Clark, and S. Collins. 2012. Variation in monsoon precipitation drives spatial and temporal patterns of Larrea tridentatagrowth in the Sonoran Desert. Functional Ecology, DOI 10.1111/j.1365-2435.2012.01979.x.
- D. Niu, S.J. Hall, H. Fu, J. Kang, Y. Qin, and J.J. Elser. 2011. Grazing exclusion alters ecosystem carbon pools in Alxa desert steppe. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research,54(3): 127-142. DOI 10.1080/00288233.2011.576683.
- E. Cook, S.J. Hall, and K. Larson. 2011. Residential landscapes in an urban socio-ecological context: Multi-scalar drivers and legacies of management practices, ecological structure, and ecosystem services. 2011. Urban Ecosystems,DOI 10.1007/s11252-011-0197-0.
- L.H. Pardo, M.E. Fenn, C.L. Goodale, L.H. Geiser, C.T. Driscoll, E.B. Allen, J.S. Baron, R. Bobbink, W.D. Bowman, C.M. Clark, B. Emmett, F.S. Gilliam, T.L. Greaver; S.J. Hall,E.A. Lilleskov, L. Liu, J.A. Lynch, K.J. Nadelhoffer, S.S. Perakis, M.J. Robin-Abbott, J.L. Stoddard, K.C. Weathers, R.L. Dennis. 2011. Effects of N deposition and empirical critical loads for nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States. Ecological Applications, DOI 10.1890/10-2341.1.
- J.P. Kaye, S.E. Eckert, D.A. Gonzalez, J.O. Allen, S.J. Hall,R.A. Sponseller, and N.B. Grimm. 2011. Decomposition of urban atmospheric carbon in Sonoran Desert soils. Urban Ecosystems,DOI 10.1007/s11252-011-0173-8.
- S.J. Hall, R.A. Sponseller, N.B. Grimm, D. Huber, J.P. Kaye, C. Clark, and S. Collins.2011. Ecosystem response to nutrient enrichment across an urban airshed in the Sonoran Desert. Ecological Applications, 21(3): 640-660.
- Y. Marusenko, P. Herckes, and S.J. Hall. 2011. Distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soils of urban transportation corridors in an arid ecosystem.Water, Air, and Soil Pollution,219 (1): 473-487. DOI 10.1007/s11270-010-0721-5.
- K.L. Larson, E. Cook, C. Strawhacker, andS.J. Hall. 2010. The influence of diverse values, ecological structure, and socio-spatial context on residents’ multifaceted land-management decisions. Human Ecology, DOI 10.1007/s10745-010-9359-6.
- R. Davies andS.J. Hall. 2010. Direct and indirect effects of urbanization on soil and plant nutrients in desert ecosystems of the Phoenix metropolitan area. Urban Ecosystems, 13(2). DOI: 10.1007/s11252-010-0120-0.
- S.J. Halland P.J. Marchand. 2010. Effects of stand density on ecosystem properties in subalpine forests of the southern Rocky Mountains. Annals of Forest Science, 67:102. DOI: 10.1051/forest/2009083.
- S.J. Hall, B. Ahmed, P. Ortiz, R. Davies, R. Sponseller, and N.B. Grimm. 2009. Urbanization alters soil microbial functioning in the Sonoran Desert. Ecosystems, 12, DOI: 10.1007/s10021-009-9249-1.
- S.J. Halland D. Lombardozzi. 2008. Short-term effects of wildfire on montane stream ecosystems in southern Colorado: 1-2 years post burn. Western North American Naturalist, 68 (4): 453-462.
- S.J. Hall, D. Huber, and N.B. Grimm. 2008. Soil N2O and NOxemissions from an arid urban ecosystem. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, (113) G1, G01016
- M.M. McCrackin, T.K. Harms, N.B. Grimm,S.J. Hall, J.P. Kaye. 2008. Responses of soil microorganisms to resource availability in urban, desert soils. Biogeochemistry, (87)2, 143-155.
- S.J. Halland G.P. Asner. 2007. Biological invasions alter regional N-oxide emissions in Hawaiian rain forests. Global Change Biology, (13) 10, 2143-2160.
- S. Pfirman, S.J. Hall, and T. Tietenberg. 2005. Environmental programs: Liberal arts colleges and interdisciplinary education. Environmental Science & Technology, 39 (10): 221A-224A.
- S.J. Hall, G. Asner and K. Kitayama. 2004. Land use, climate, and substrate controls over soil dynamics and N-oxide emissions in Borneo. Biogeochemistry,70(1): 27-58.
- S.J. Halland P.A. Matson. 2003. Nutrient status of tropical rain forests influences soil N dynamics after N additions. Ecological Monographs,73(1): 107-129.
- P. Matson, K. Lohse, and S.J. Hall. 2002. The globalization of nitrogen deposition: consequences for terrestrial ecosystems. Ambio, 31(2): 113-119.
- S.J. Halland P.A. Matson. 1999. Nitrogen oxide emissions after nitrogen additions in tropical forests. Nature, 400 (6740): 152-155.
- S.J. Hall,P.A. Matson, and P.M. Roth. 1996. NOxEmissions from soil: Implications for air quality modeling in agricultural regions. Annual Review of Energy and the Environment,21: 311-46.
- P.A. Matson, C. Billow, S. Hall, and J. Zachariassen. 1996. Fertilization practices and soil variations control nitrogen oxide emissions from tropical sugar cane. Journal of Geophysical Research, (101) D13: 18,533-45.
- J.A. Coyer and S.J. Hall. 1993. Predation on small northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax) by large silversides (Atherinidae). California Fish and Game 79(2): 82-84.
Book chapters, reports, and white papers
- 2018. J. Givens and S.J. Hall. Nature at ASU, 2016-18 Inaugural Report. Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. http://halllab.asu.edu/annual-report/.
- 2018. C. Holmes, H. Heavenrich, E. Shock, and S.J. Hall. Trace Metal Content of Community Garden Soils and Plants in metro Phoenix, AZ. Report prepared for a coalition of community gardens in metro Phoenix.
- 2018. K. Hooton, S. Giannakorous, W. Campbell, M.H. Friedman, J. Groeneveld, L. Steger, and S.J. Hall. Ozone Precursor, Particulate Matter and Particulate Matter Precursor Emissions from Composting Operations: A Literature Review and Estimates Report Prepared for the Maricopa County Air Quality Department. 68 pp. URL: http://halllab.asu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MCAQD-Compost- Report-FINAL-0118.pdf
- 2015. K.A. Spielmann, S.J. Hall,M. Kruse-Peeples, D. Nakase, and J. Trujillo. Soil Texture and Agricultural Resilience in the Prehistoric Southwest:Farming on Perry Mesa, Arizona. In:From Field to Table: Historical ecology of regional subsistence strategies. University of South Carolina Press.
- 2014. S.J. Hall. Soil and the Future of Food: Challenges and Opportunities for Feeding 9 Billion People. In:The Soil Underfoot: Infinite Possibilities for a Finite Resource, CRC Press. G. Churchman and E. Landa (eds).
- 2011. K.A. Spielmann, H. Schaafsma, J. Briggs, S.J. Hall, and *M. Kruse. Legacies on the Landscape: The enduring effects of long-term human-ecosystem interactions. In: M. Nelson, (ed), Movement, Connectivity, and Landscape Change, Proceedings of the 2008 Southwest Symposium of Archaeology, Tempe, AZ. University Press of Colorado. 448 p. URL:http://www.upcolorado.com/book/Proceedings_of_the_Southwest_Symposium/ Movement_Connectivity_and_Landscape_Change_in_the_Ancient_Southwest_Cloth.
- 2009. E. Cook, C. Boone, S.J.Hall,and M. Nation. Urban long-term research across a Southwest socio-ecological gradient. A White Paper prepared for the US Forest Service Southwest Research Station.
- 2008. K.L. Larson,S.J.Hall,E. Cook, B. Funke, C. Strawhacker, and V. Turner. Social ecological dynamics of residential landscapes: Human drivers of management practices and ecological structure in an urban ecosystem context. The Final Report from an Interdisciplinary Graduate Research and Education Training (IGERT) Workshop, 52 pp., School of Sustainability, Arizona State University. URL: http://caplter.asu.edu/research/research-projects/research-home/research-highlight-9/
- 2005. S.J. Hall, S. Pfirman, and T. Titenberg. Environmental Programs at Liberal Arts Colleges. Findings and Recommendations for the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. URL: http://www.pkal.org/documents/EnvironmentalPrograms.pdf