Dean, College of Architecture and Planning, University of Colorado Denver
Planning Program Director, School of Geographical Sciences and Planning, College of Liberal Arts & Science, ASU, 7/2009-
Associate Professor of Planning, ASU, 7/2009-.
Faculty Affiliate, School of Sustainability, ASU, 2005-.
Education and Degrees
Ph.D., Urban Planning, Columbia University, Dissertation: "In Search of a Usable Past: Urban Design in a French New Town," 1994.
Master of Philosophy, Urban Planning, Columbia University, 1994.
Master of Arts, Anthropology, Columbia University, 1983.
Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology and Hispanic Studies, Bryn Mawr College, 1981.
Director, Urban & Metropolitan Studies Program, School of Public Affairs, College of Public Programs, ASU, 8/2006-6/2009.
Associate Professor, School of Public Affairs, ASU, 8/2006-., Ph.D. Program, College of Design, ASU, 7/2005-8/2006.
Associate Professor, School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, College of Design, ASU, 4/2000-8/2006.
Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, College of Design, ASU, 1/1998-3/2000.
Assistant Professor of Urban Design and Planning, University of Cincinnati, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning, 1/1996-12/1997.
Faculty Member, Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc), 1993-95.
Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, School of Urban and Regional Planning, 1991-92.
Associate, Committee on Theory and Culture, New York University, 1987-91.
Instructor, New York University, Metropolitan Studies Program, 1987-91.
Affiliated Scholar, Centre de Recherche sur L'Habitat, part of Centre National de Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), 1986-7.
- Integral Urbanism. New York: Routledge, 2006.
- Postmodern Urbanism, Revised and Updated. With a new "Foreword to the Revised Edition: Beyond Postmodern Urbanism," 1-11. NY: Princeton Architectural Press, 1999.
- Architecture of Fear. Editor. NY: Princeton Architectural Press, 1997.
- Postmodern Urbanism. NY: Princeton Architectural Press, 1996.
Translations of Postmodern Urbanism
- Postmodern Urbanism, Chinese translation by Zhang Guanzeng. With a "Special Foreword to the Chinese Edition." Shanghai: Tongji University Press, 2007.
- Postmoderni Urbanizam. Serbo-Croatian translation of Postmodern Urbanism. With a "Special Foreword to the Serbo-Croatian Edition" ("Predgovor beogradskom izdanju"), I-XII. Belgrade: Orion Press, 2002.
Publications: Articles in National and International Journals
- "Life Support: Nacirema Revisited," Journal of Urbanism: International Journal of Placemaking and Urban Sustainability, March 2008.
- "Fear and City Planning," Hedgehog Review, Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture, University of Virginia, February 2004, 43-61.
- "New York 9/11: An Attack on Urban Culture?" Urban Ecology, Winter 2001-2, 16-18.
- "Slash City," Lotus International: Rivista trimestrale di architettura, no.110, Invited theme issue on "Global Cities, Planning, Disturbances, Architecture, Infrastructures," September 2001, 58-72.
- "Interview: Nan Ellin" by Alex Bitterman, Intersight #6, State University of New York (SUNY) Buffalo, 2001, 104-12.
- "Thresholds of Fear: Embracing the Urban Shadow," Urban Studies Review, Spring 2001 38/5-6: 869-83.
- "At Home Everywhere and Nowhere: Prospects for Making Place in the Global Village," Thresholds #20, MIT, 2001, 42-9.
- "Participatory Architecture on the Parisian Periphery," Journal of Architectural Education issue on "Beyond Expert Culture," February 2000, 178-83.
Publications: Essays in National and International Publications
- "Integral Urbanism: A Context for Urban Design," Resilience in Ecology and Urban Design: Synergies for Theory and Practice in the Urban Century, Steward Pickett, Mary Cadenasso, and Brian McGrath (eds.), forthcoming.
- "Erasmian Urbanism vis-a-vis Integral Urbanism," in Erasmian Urbanism 4, Maarten Struijs (ed.), Rotterdam: Rotterdam University, 2007.
- "Themes of Postmodern Urbanism," The Urban Design Reader, Michael Angelo Larice and Elizabeth MacDonald (eds.), New York: Routledge, 2007, 206-14.
- "Making Place in the Global Village," Culture, Environmental Action, and Sustainability, R. Garcia Mira, J.M. Sabucedo Cameselle, J.R. Martinez (eds.), Germany: Hogrefe & Huber, 2003, 61-8.
- "A Vulnerable Urbanism," Re-envisioning Landscape/Architecture, Catherine Spellman (ed.), Barcelona: ACTAR, 2001, 222-35.
- "Urbanization, Society & Culture," Design Professionals and the Built Environment, Paul L. Knox and Peter Ozolins (eds.), John Wiley Ltd., 2000, 99-106.
- "Through the Lens of Fear," Den trygge Byen kriminalitetsforebygende, Tina Skouen (ed.), Oslo: Norsk Form, 1999.
- "Shifting Metaphors for the City and Culture: Ecology and the Border," City and Culture. Louise Nystrom (ed.), Stockholm: Swedish Urban Environment Council, 1999, 12-22.
Presentations: International Audiences (selected)
- World Social Summit, Fondazione Casa di Risparmio di Roma and the Censis Foundation, Rome, Theme: "Fearless: Discussions on How to Combat Global Anguish," September 2008.
- Opening Plenary Address, Metropolis Conference for Copenhagen Biennale, June 26, 2008.
- "Phoenix Urban Design and Development Patterns," Hogeschool Rotterdam, The Netherlands, April 16, 2008.
- "Phoenix Urbanism," Tongji University (China), January 18, 2008.
- "Phoenix from the Ashes," Eisenhower Fellows visiting Phoenix from Thailand, Egypt, South Africa, India, and China. Sponsored by World Affairs Council of Arizona (WACAZ), the programming arm of the U.S. Dept of State's International Visitor Leadership Program, October 19, 2007.
- "Towards an Integral Urbanism," Conference on "Articulating Landscape Urbanism: A Landscape Approach to Urban Design and Regeneration," Wageningen University and Research Center, The Netherlands, May 11-12, 2007.
- "Phoenix: 21st Century City," German Marshall Fund Fellows (from Romania, Kosovo, Portugal, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Slovakia), hosted by Valley Leadership in Phoenix, March 15, 2007.
- "Integral Urbanism" at "Erasmian Urbanism Conference" with Lars Lerup, Hogeschool Rotterdam, The Netherlands, January 3-7, 2007.
- "Engaging Communities," Fulbright Enrichment Seminar for 125 Fulbright Scholars from 75 countries, sponsored by U.S. Department of State, administered by Institute of International Education, hosted by ASU, February 11, 2006.
- People's Republic of China, sponsored by China-US Center for Sustainable Development, ASU, August 17, 2005.
- "Fear and the Quest for Authenticity," Academy of Architecture Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 14, 2005.
- "Making Place in the Urban Environment," Fulbright Enrichment Seminar, sponsored by U.S. Department of State, administered by the Institute of International Education, hosted by ASU, February 19, 2005.
- "Urban Instinct," University of Victoria (CAN) Public Lecture, March 10, 2005.
- "Learning from Urbanism," International Seminar on "Museums as Congregant Spaces," Elaine Gurian (Director), The Museum Group and Cultural Resources Management Department, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, June 24, 2004.
- Keynote Address, IAPS (International Association for People-Environment Studies) Conference on "Culture, Quality of Life, and Globalization: Problems and Challenges for the New Millenium," La Coruna, Spain, July, October 2002.
- Keynote Address, "City and Culture: Urban Sustainability and Cultural Processes," Cultural Capital of Europe Conference, Stockholm, Museum of Modern Art, May 15, 1998.
- "Shelter from the Storm," Invited paper in honor of Jane Jacobs, American Sociological Association Meetings, Toronto, August 10, 1997.
Presentations: National Audiences (selected)
- "Inspiring the City," Invited Speaker, Conference "UPSTATE: Writing the City," Syracuse University, November 15, 2007.
- "Placemaking in Phoenix," Georgia State University, School of Interior Design, October 25, 2007.
- "Slash City," Co-sponsored by Georgia Tech School of Architecture and Georgia State University Welch School of Art and Design, Atlanta, associated with exhibition "Reconstructing Atlanta: A Multi-Dimensional Exhibition and Event Project, October 24, 2007.
- Opening Plenary Address, "Integral Urbanism," Cary Conference on "Urban Resilience in Ecology and Design," Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook (NY), April 30, 2007.
- "Urbanism: Postmodern and Integral," Penn State University, April 5, 2007.
- Lead Participant, "Integral Urbanism for Spokane," Design Livability Conference, Interdisciplinary Design Institute, Washington State University, October 7, 2006.
- "Integral Urbanism," Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, November 28, 2006.
- "Building a Healthy Urban Environment," Arizona Public Health Association 77th Annual Meeting on "The Built Environment: Improving the Public's Health by Design," Sedona, September 8, 2005.
- "Urban Regeneration: Focus on Phoenix," Sustainable Urban Regeneration Symposium, US-Japan, ASU, May 26, 2005.
- "Looking In, Reaching Out," University of Texas-Austin Faculty Retreat, August 20, 2004.
- "ASU and the Revitalization of Downtown Phoenix," Institute for Urban Design, New York City, May 27, 2004.
- "Slash City: Downtown Phoenix Revitalization," College of Architecture, University of Utah, October 13, 2003.
- Keynote Address, "Integral Urbanism in Phoenix," Architectural Research Centers Consortium National Conference, ASU, April 10, 2003.
- "Crafting a Cultural Necklace for Phoenix," Institute for Urban Design Symposium on Arts/Cultural Districts and Economic Revitalization, Century Club, NYC, October 25, 2001.
- "Urbanisms: New and Other," Panelist (with Michael Dennis, Lars Lerup, Elizabeth Moule, Stanley Saitowitz,and John Kriken to discuss presentations made by Rob Krier, John Ruble, and Daniel Libeskind), University of California, Berkeley, February 25, 2000.
- "Pushing the Border," College of Architecture, University of Colorado, November 8, 1999.
- Keynote Address, "Community Works," Service Learning Conference, ASU, April 10, 1999.
- "From Disenchantment to Reenchantment," College of Architecture and Planning, SUNY Buffalo Lecture Series, October 7, 1997.
- Keynote Address, "Architecture and the New Geographies of Power," ACSA West Regional Meeting, Washington State University, October 3, 1997.
Presentations: Local (Selected)
- "Integral Urbanism," Barrett Honors College Lecture Series, ASU, January 23, 2007.
- Homecoming Lecture, "Integral Urbanism," School of Geographical Sciences October 26, 2007.
- "Like Water for Phoenix: Turning Problems into Solutions," Morrison Institute for Public Policy, ASU, August 2, 2007.
- "Exhibition Ending, Conversation Just Beginning," ASU Art Museum "New American City" Lecture Series, January 27, 2007.
- "The Phoenix Region Emerging Creatively," Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, with Edward Booth-Clibborn and Marilu Knode, November 8, 2006.
- "The City: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly," Panelist (with Linda Hirschman, Will Bruder, Barry Berkus, and Susan Krane), Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, April 6, 2006.
- Keynote Address, "Sustainable AZ," Arizona Crossroads Summit on Environmental Literacy (a gathering of 100 Arizona leaders from business, education, and the environment), Heard Museum, Phoenix, April 18, 2006.
- "Urban Instinct," Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art Lecture Series, March 7, 2006.
- "Our Cities, Our Selves: Towards an Integral Urbanism," Women & Philanthropy, ASU, Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 24, 2004.
- "Proposals for Downtown Phoenix Revitalization and Archive of Plans for Phoenix over the last 3 Decades," Ayers Saint Gross (Campus Architects) and College of Design Downtown Phoenix Campus Charrette, March 25, 2004.
- Keynote Address, "Architecture of a Quality Community," Community Leadership Forum, Phoenix, September 25, 2003.
- Annual Lecture, "City/Community-Building," in honor of Women's Month, Faculty Women's Association, March 26, 2003.
- "Desert Urbanism" at "The Day the Desert Stood Still" Conference, ASU Downtown Center, March 22, 2003.
- "An Art of Urbanism for Phoenix," ASU President's Community Enrichment Program (PCEP), February 11, 2002.
- "A City in Flow," Scottsdale Urban Design Studio Lecture Series, November 29, 2001.
- "The Art of Urbanism," Phoenix Art Museum, February 3, 2001.
- "At Home Everywhere and Nowhere," College of Design, ASU, October 10, 2000.
- "Integral Urbanism," College of Design Symposium, ASU, Desert Botanical Gardens, January 14, 2000.
AWARDS & HONORS
Contemporary Catalyst Award Nominee, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, 2009.
Award of Merit, Valley Forward Environmental Excellence Award, for Making Sustainable Communities Happen, September 6, 2008.
Contemporary Catalyst Award Nominee, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, 2008.
2007 Power Player, One of 25 awarded by the Phoenix Business Journal to "the Valley's most influential Power Players for their leadership, professionalism and dedication to our community," 2007.
Distinguished Research Award, School of Public Affairs, ASU, 2007.
President's Medal for Social Embeddedness, "New American City," 2007.
ASU Faculty Award Nominee for exemplifying the New American University, 2007.
Contemporary Catalyst Award Nominee, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, 2006.
Arizona Governor's Arts Award Nominee, Individual Category, 2006.
Who's Who of American Women 25th Silver Anniversary Edition, entry, 2005.
Who's Who in Fine Arts Higher Education, entry, 2005.
Who's Who of American Women 24th Edition, entry, 2004-5.
Last Lecture Series Nominee, Faculty Teaching Recognition, ASU, 2004.
Outstanding Service Award, Shade Projects, Phoenix, AZ, 2004.
ASU University Service Award, 2003.
Annual Award for Contribution to Town Planning in the Republics of ex-Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Macedonia) for Postmoderni Urbanizam (translation of Postmodern Urbanism), Delivered at annual conference of Town Planning Association of Serbia, City of Kragujevac, 2002.
Who's Who in America 57th Edition, entry, 2002.
Arizona Commission on the Arts Grant, "Towards an Arts District for Downtown Phoenix," 2001-2.
Faculty Achievement Award, University of Cincinnati, 1997.
Meritorious Performance in Research Award, University of Cincinnati, 1997.
Research Grant, French Ministry of Urban Planning, 1986-7.
Fulbright Advanced Student Travel Award to France, 1985-6.
Bourse Chateaubriand, French Cultural Embassy, 1985-6.
Fribourg Fellowship, Alliance Francaise de New York, 1985-6.
- Phoenix: 21st Century City. With Edward Booth-Clibborn. Book design by Jonathan Barnbrook. Photo essay by Tomoko Yoneda. Sponsored by Maricopa Partnership for Arts & Culture. London: Booth-Clibborn Editions, 2006.
Publication: Editor for local press
- "For Phoenix to Flourish," guest-edited section of Shade Magazine featuring proposals for downtown Phoenix revitalization developed by ASU students and faculty. October-November 2004, 48 pages.
Publications: Articles in the local press
- "'Canal Villages' Could Become Phoenix Legacy," Arizona Republic (Phoenix edition), March 26, 2008 (full page).
- "Top Shelf" (Book recommendations for enhancing quality of place), Arizona Republic, Viewpoints Section, Sunday, January 20, 2008.
- "Make People Want to Come Back to Cities," Arizona Republic (Phoenix edition), September 5, 2007.
- "'Authenti-City' Creates Urban Fabric Organically," Arizona Republic (Phoenix edition), August 3, 2007.
- "Architectural Scene Grows from Desert," Arizona Republic (Phoenix edition), July 27, 2007.
- "Architectural Design Flourishing in Valley," Arizona Republic (Scottsdale edition), July 13, 2007.
- "Now is Time for Phoenix to Plan Downtown of Future," Arizona Republic (Phoenix edition), June 27, 2007.
- "Put Nature Back in Our Downtown," Arizona Republic, June 7, 2005, B7.
- "High Profile Arizona Special Feature: Sustainable Phoenix," High Profile, 19, February-March, 2005.
- "The Time is Ripe for Phoenix," Arizona Republic, February 15, 2005, B7.
- "High Profile Arizona Special Feature: Urban Instinct," High Profile, Winter 2005, 21, 23.
- "Add Pizazz to Vision for Downtown," Arizona Republic, December 16, 2004, B7.
- "Tipping Point," Shade Magazine, October-November 2004, 56-7.
- "Urban Instinct: Sustainable Phoenix," Shade Magazine, October-November 2004, 93-4.
- "Art Infusion" and "Neighborhood Swim/Fitness Clubs," Shade Magazine, October-November 2004, 72-4.
- "Authenti-City," Shade Magazine, June 2004, 36-9.
- "Livable Phoenix," Shade Magazine, February 2004, 42-3.
- "Urban Design for the Third Millenium," Shade Magazine, December 2003, 22-3.
- Interviewed by bizAZ, Michael Miklovsky, September/October 2003.
- "A Translucent Urbanism," Shade Magazine, August 2003, 34-6.
- "A Blueprint for Survival of Metro Phoenix," Invited Commentary, Arizona Capitol Times, June 13, 2003.
- "The Future of Multi-Use," Shade Magazine, November-December 2002, 54-7.
- "Soul of the City," Shade Magazine, July 2002, 38-40.
- "Shade Sutures: Retrofitting Our Desert City," Shade Magazine with Jeffrey Cook, Dan Hoffman, Harvey Bryan, Darren Petrucci, Vidar Lerum and Ron McCoy, June 2002, 32-7.
- "Canal Villages and Follow the Flow," Salt River Project, May 6, 2008.
- "Women's Professional Choices," Invited Speaker at the "All Inclusive Higher Education Summit: Female Contemporary Issues Summit" April 18, 2008, ASU Downtown Campus, Organized by ASU student services.
- "Canal Villages for Phoenix," Editorial Board, Arizona Republic, April 16, 2008.
- "Making Sustainable Communities Happen," Continuous Learning Institute, City of Phoenix Village Planning Commissions, April 4, 2008 (presentation of LISC Grant project, see below).
- "Connected Oasis and Phoenix Flows for Metro Phoenix," Arizona chapter of the National Children & Nature Network, Phoenix Zoo, February 12, 2007.
- "For Phoenix to Flow," Hosted by Dean Friedman and Downtown Phoenix Partnership, Arizona Club, Phoenix, March 27, 2007.
- "A City is Not a Bagel: Creating Vital Hubs in the Phoenix Region," Virginia G. Piper Trustees, October 9, 2006.
- "Making Sense of Place," Citizens' Academy of Phoenix, Burton Barr Library, May 25, 2004.
- "Urban Utopias," Flinn Scholarship Program, with Terry Goddard, Arcosanti, March 2, 2002.
- "The Role of Architects in Neighborhood Revitalization," Council for Design Excellence, College of Design, Wrigley Mansion, Phoenix, February 13, 2001.
- Keynote Address, "The Spaces Between," The Durrant Group Board of Directors' Retreat, Phoenix, February 17, 2001.
- "General Plan Update," Scottsdale Town Hall Meeting, Panelist (with Grady Gammage Jr., Reid Ewing, Phil Boas, and Charlie Smith), March 30, 2000.
Media Coverage: Feature Articles about Work in Books and Magazines
- "Nan Ellin: A Phoenix Visionary" by Effie Bouras, Java, May 2007, 26-8.
- "Urbanism" by Robert Sentinery, Java, May 2007, 7.
- "Eye Slashes" by David Tyda, Desert Living Design Issue, March 2007, 24.
- "Editors' Introduction" to "Themes of Postmodern Urbanism" by Michael Larice and Elizabeth MacDonald, The Urban Design Reader, 2007, New York: Routledge, 204-5.
- "Amerikaanse Hoogleraar over Home & Living: Design van de Angst," Home Living (The Netherlands), November 2005, 12-3.
- "Oprah Stedenbouw" by Joost van en Hoek, ArchiNed, April 19, 2005 (review of lecture at Academy of Architecture Amsterdam).
- "On the Future of Downtown: ASU's CAED Shares Vision and Ideas," High Profile, Winter 2004-5, 21.
- Ranko Radovic "For a Better and Richer Understanding of Today's Urban Development," preface to Postmoderni Urbanizam (translation of Postmodern Urbanism), 2002, Belgrade: Orion Art Press, 9-12.
Media Coverage: Feature Articles about Work in Newspapers (selected)
- "Bang?" by Bernard Hulsman, Full front-page article in Weekend Arts & Leisure Section, NRC (The Netherlands' principal newspaper), May 1, 2005.
- "It's Not Easy Being Green," Jewish News of Greater Phoenix, January 21, 2005 v.57 no.21 (about Special Issue of Shade).
- "Tuesday Notebook" by Jon Talton, Arizona Republic (about Special Issue of Shade), November 16, 2004.
- "ASU Prof Trying to Help Phoenix Find Urban Identity" by Erica Sagon, Arizona Republic, June 1, 2004.
- "Discussing Urban Design" by Jake Gundersen, Daily Utah Chronicle (about 10/13 lecture), October 14, 2003.
- "Opportunities Abound for Urban Intellectual," editorial in Arizona Republic (about 6/25 presentation), June 28, 2003.
- "Urban Expert Says Phoenix Heading for Boom or Bust" by Randy Bailey, ASU Insight, June 13, 2003.
- "Bold Ideas for Desert Metropolis" by Tom Zoellner, Arizona Republic, February 23, 2003 (about work with students on downtown revitalization).
- "Si la ciudad fuese perfecta, no seria human y aburriria" ("If the City Were Perfect, It Wouldn't Be Human and We Would be Bored"), interview in La Voz de A Coruna, July 25, 2002.
Quoted in the Press Since 2005 (selected)
- "Going Vertical: Projects Reshaping City Skylines Across the Valley" by Richard Gray, Phoenix Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate 2008, March 21,2008, 12-3.
- "Phoenix Rising?" by Lara Taubman, Art Ltd.: West Coast Art Design, January 2008, 56-60.
- "Taking Root in Downtown Phoenix," [about public market] by Beth Shapiro, Chosen, Inaugural Issue. Fall 2007.
- "Walls Seen as Practical but Imposing" by Peter Corbett, Arizona Republic, July 14, 2007, A21.
- "Phoenix: Imagining a City" by Peter Kelly, Blueprint (London-based publication about architecture and design), May 2007.
- "The D Word" by Echo Surina, Home & Design, January-February 2007, 33-6.
- "Preservationists Disagree over Historic Rules" by Sue Doerfler, Arizona Republic, Sept. 23, 2006, Front page.
- "City Needs Downtown University" by James O'Neill, Dallas News, May 15, 2006.
- "Stage Set for Performing Arts to Grow" by Kerry Lengel, Arizona Republic, Sunday August 28, 2005. Front page.
- "New Valley Alleys are the Cat's Meow" by Peter Corbett, Arizona Republic, June 14, 2005, Front page and A8.
- "Turning the Corner: Boring to Happening" by Erica Sagon, Arizona Republic, May 3, 2005.
- On the Issues, Interviewed by Phoenix City Councilman Greg Stanton about Phoenix: 21st Century City, aired November 27-Dec. 10, 2006.
- Horizon, KAET, Channel 8, Interviewed by Michael Grant about Phoenix: 21st Century City, taped November 7, 2006.
- Horizon, KAET, Channel 8, Interviewed by Michael Grant about Richard Florida's The Rise of the Creative Class with Grady Gammage, Jr., live October 23, 2003.
- "My Private Ontario," Studio 2, TVO, Ontario, Canada, live one-hour panel discussion on the privatization of space, November 6, 1997.
- "Design Against Crime in Los Angeles," interviewed, ABC World News Tonight, April 1994.
- "Whitney Museum's Suburbia Exhibit" by Todd Williams and Billie Tsien, interviewed, CNN Newswatch, May 1989.
- National Public Radio, interviewed for 3-part series about Phoenix, aired February 2006.
- "Panic Room," Austrian Broadcasting Corporation, Vienna, interviewed by Jane Lefaivre, April 8, 2002.
- "Culture of Fear," Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Arts Today, taped 25-minute program with contributing authors to Architecture of Fear (Ellin, Blakely, Turnbull), transcript online, August 30, 1999.
- "Architecture of Exclusion," The Afternoon Shift with Maxwell Hutchinson and Jeremy Melvin, British Broadcasting Corporation, live interview, March 25, 1998, 30 minutes.
- "Jenck's Jumping Universe," British Broadcasting Corporation, March 27, 1997, interviewed.
- "Architecture of Fear,"Comfort Zone, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, April 26, 1997, 30 minutes.