Christopher Wharton, PhD
Associate Professor, Nutrition Program, Healthy Lifestyles Research Center
Visit Dr. Wharton's Local Foods Lab online
- PhD - Arizona State University, 2006
- MS - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- BS - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- Eakin H, Connors JP, Wharton CM, Bertmann F*, Xiong A, Stoltzfus J. Identifying attributes of food system sustainability: Emerging themes and consensus. J Ag Food Human Val. 2016:1-17
- Wharton CM, Hughner R, MacMillan AL*. Community Supported Agriculture Programs: A Novel Venue for Theory-Based Health Behavior Change Interventions. Ecol Food Nutr. 2015;54(3):280-301.
- Wharton, C.M., Cunningham, B., Sterner, D., Johnston, C. (2014)Diet self-monitoring, but not dietary quality, improves with use of smart phone app technology. J Nutr Ed Behav. 46(5):440-444.
- Bertmann F, Barroso C, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hampl J, Sell K, Wharton CM. WIC CVV use in Arizona: A qualitative exploration of barriers and strategies related to fruit and vegetable purchases. J Nutr Ed Behav. 2014;46(3 Suppl):S53-S58.
- Bertmann, F., Ohri-Vachaspati, P., Buman M., &, Wharton C.M. (2012). Implementation of wireless terminals at farmers’ markets: Impact on overall sales and SNAP redemption. American Journal of Public Health, 102(7):53-55.
- MacMillan, A.L., Winham, D., & Wharton, C.M. (2012). Community supported agriculture membership: Charactering food and sustainability behaviors. Appetite, 59:414-419.
- Fehrenbach, K.S., & Wharton, C.M. (2012). Consumer information-seeking preferences at a university farmers' market. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 7:53-63.
- Wharton, C.M. (2011). Food beyond nutrition: Bringing politics and ethics into nutrition curriculum. Teaching Ethics, 11(2), 15-24.
- Wharton, C.M., & Harmon, A.H. (2009). University engagement through local food enterprise: Community supported agriculture on college campuses. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 4(2), 112-128.
LIfestyle-wide behavior change, Voluntary Simplicity, Healthy Food Availability and Distribution, Food Systems and Sustainability, Local Food Programs, Food Security
Research Video 1: Food environment and local food solutions
Research Video 2: CSA member attitudes and behaviors
Current/Recent Grants and Projects
- US Department of Agriculture, “Food system sustainability in the southwest: Developing a regional action plan to enhance resilience, livelihoods, and food security across New Mexico and Arizona,” 2014-2016 ($23,263)
- US Department of Agriculture, "Food Deserts: Identifying and Overcoming Issues in the Supply Chain," 2013 ($12,000)
- Arizona Department of Health Services Grant, "The Relation of WIC CVV Use with Participant Attitudes and Perceptions," 2012 ($68,300)
- US Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Promotion Program Grant, “Modernizing Arizona’s Farmers’ Markets through New EBT Projects: Expanding and Evaluating Access,” 2009-2011 ($61,893)
- US Department of Agriculture Farmers Market Promotion Program Grant, "The development of a sustainable farmers' market association in Arizona: reaching and connecting communities through local agriculture," 2008-2010 ($67,344)
- "Bridging the Food Gaps: Creating Online Buying Clubs." Presented at the annual Southwest Marketing Network Conference, Border Food Summit, 2012
- "Telling your sustainablity story.” Presented at the 3rd Farmer Chef Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, 2010
- The effect of the food environment on food choice.” Presented at the 23rd Annual Arizona Agribusiness Forum: The New Food Economy, the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2008
- “CSA’s on college campuses: A venue for local agriculture.” Presented at the Association for the Study of Food and Society Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2008
- Arizona State University President's Medal for Social Embeddedness, 2013
- Arizona State University President's Award for Sustainability, 2011
- Associated Students of Arizona State University Centennial Professor Award, 2009-2010
- Lincoln Center for Applied Ethics PolyTech Teaching Fellowship, 2008-2009
- Arizona State University, Exercise and Wellness Outstanding Scholar, Teacher, and Leader Award, 2006