Scott Beeman is an assistant professor in the School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering. Beeman's expertise lies in the development and application of magnetic resonance-based methods to decipher how diseases like diabetes and cancer develop and progress. He holds a bachelor's degree and doctorate in biomedical engineering from Arizona State University and completed his postdoctoral research training at the Washington University School of Medicine’s Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Laboratory. Beeman received an NIH K01 Career award in 2016 to study the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes and joined the faculty at Washington University in January of 2017. He joined ASU in August of 2019.
The mission of Dr. Beeman’s laboratory is to design quantitative magnetic resonance (MR)-based methods, informed by the fundamental biophysics that underpin the complex in vivo MR signal, to advance the scientific understanding of health and disease. Current funded research efforts are aimed at developing quantitative MR-based methods to interrogate the unknown pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes and its downstream complications.
Peer reviewed manuscripts:
1. Little AS, Liu S, Beeman SC, Sankar T, Preul MC, Hu LS, Smith KA, Baxter LC. Brain retraction and thickness of cerebral neocortex: an automated technique for detecting retraction-induced anatomic changes using magnetic resonance imaging. Neurosurgery. 2010; 67(3 Suppl Operative):277-282.
2. Losey T, Beeman SC, Ng YT, Kerrigan JF, Baxter LC. White matter density is increased in patients with hypothalamic hamartoma and multiple seizure types. Epilepsy Res. 2011; 93(2-3):212-215.
3. Beeman SC, Zhang M, Gubhaju L, Wu L, Bertram JF, Frakes DH, Cherry BR, Bennett KM. Measuring glomerular number and size in perfused kidneys using MRI. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011; 300(6): F1454-F1457.
4. Clavijo-Jordan V, Kodibagkar VD, Beeman SC, Hann BD, Bennett KM. Principles and emerging applications of nanomagnetic materials in medicine. WIREs Nanobiotechnol 2012; 4(4):345-365.
5. Beeman SC, Georges J, Bennett KM. Toxicity, Biodistribution, and ex vivo MRI detection of intravenously injected cationic ferritin. Magn Res Med. 2013; 69(3):853-861.
6. Qian C, Yu X, Chen D, Dodd S, Bouraoud N, Pothayee N, Chen Y, Beeman SC, Bennett KM, Murphy-Boesch J, Koretsky A. Wireless amplified NMR detector (WAND) for high resolution in-vivo imaging of internal organs. Radiology. 2013; 268(1): 228-236.
7. Beeman SC, Mandarino LJ, Georges JF, Bennett KM. Cationized ferritin as a magnetic resonance imaging probe to detect microstructural changes in a rat model of non‐alcoholic steatohepatitis. Magn Res Med. 2013; 70(6):1728-1738.
8. Beeman SC, Cullen-McEwen L, Puelles VG, Zhang M, Wu T, Baldelomar EJ, Dowling JP, Charlton JR, Forbes MS, Ng A, Wu Q, Armitage JA, Egan GF, Bertram
9. Charlton JR, Beeman SC, Bennett KM. MRI-detectable nanoparticles: The potential role in the diagnosis of and therapy for chronic kidney disease. Adv Chronic Kidney D. 2013; 20(6):479-487.
10. Bennett KM, Bertram JF, Beeman SC, Gretz N. The emerging role of MRI in quantitative kidney morphology. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013; 304(10):F1252-F1257.
11. Beeman SC, Cullen-McEwen L, Puelles VG, Zhang M, Wu T, Baldelomar EJ, Dowling JP, Charlton JR, Forbes MS, Ng A, Wu Q, Armitage JA, Egan GF, Bertram JF, Bennett KM. MRI-based glomerular morphology and pathology in intact human kidneys. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014 Jun 1;306(11):F1381-F1390.
12. Clavijo Jordan V, Beeman SC, Baldelomar EJ, Bennett KM. Disruptive chemical doping of ferritin-based iron oxide nanoparticle to decrease r2 and enhance detection with T1-weighted MRI. Contrast Media Mol Imaging. Contrast Media Mol Imaging. 2014 Sep;9(5):323-332.
13. Bertram JF, Cullen-McEwen LA, Egan G, Gretz N, Beeman SC, and K.M. Bennett. How and why we determine nephron number. Ped Neprol 2014; 29(4):575-580.
14. Beeman SC, Osei-Owusu P, Ackerman JJH, Blumer K, Garbow JR. Renal DCE-MRI Model Selection using Bayesian Probability Theory. Tomography. 2015; 1(1):61-68.
15. Baldelomar E, Charlton J, Beeman SC, Hann B, Cullen-McEwen L, Pearl V, Bertram JF, Wu T, Zhang M, Bennett KM. MRI phenotyping to nondestructively measure glomerular number and volume distribution in mice with and without nephron reduction. Kidney Int. 2015; 89(2):498-505.
16. Beeman SC, Shui Y, Perez-Torres CJ, Engelbach JA, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. O2-Sensitive MRI Distinguishes Brain Tumor vs. Radiation Necrosis in Murine Models. Magn Res Med. 2016; 75(6): 2442-2447.
17. Zhang M, Wu T, Beeman SC, Cullen-McEwen L, Bertram JF, Charlton J, Baldelomar EJ, Bennett KM. Efficient Small Blob Detection based on Local Convexity, Intensity and Shape Information. IEEE. 2016; 35(4):1127-1137.
18. Bennett KM, Beeman SC, Baldelomar EJ, Zhang M, Wu T, Hann BD, Bertram JF, Charlton JR. Use of cationized ferritin nanoparticles to measure renal glomerular microstructure with MRI. In: Kidney Research: Experimental Protocols, eds Hewitson TD, Smith ER, Holt SG. 2nd Edition, Humana Press. Springer, NY, USA 2016:67-79. ISBN: 978-1-4939-3353-2.
19. Charlton JR, Pearl VM, Denotti AR, Lee JB, Swaminathan S, Scindia YM, Charlton NP, Baldelomar EJ, Beeman SC, Bennett KM. Biocompatibility of ferritin-based nanoparticles as targeted MRI contrast agents. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2016; 12(6):1735-1745.
20. Duan C, Perez-Torres CJ, Yuan L, Engelbach JA, Beeman SC, Tsien CI, Rich KM, Schmidt RE, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Can anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibody reverse radiation necrosis? A preclinical investigation. J. Neurooncol. 2017; 133:9-16.
21. Duan C, Kallehauge JF, Pérez-Torres CJ, Bretthorst GL, Beeman SC, Tanderup K, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Modeling Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI Data with a Constrained Local AIF. Mol. Imaging. Biol. 2018; 20:150-159.
22. Beeman SC*, Knutsen RH*, Broekelmann T, Kovacs A, Ye L, Danback J, Watson A, Garbow JR, Kozel BA. Minoxidil rescues elastin mediated vasculopathy and improves cerebral blood flow. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018; 315(1) H18-H32
23. Yang R, Duan C, Yuan L, Engelbach JA, Tsien CI, Beeman SC, Ge X, Rich KM, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Inhibitors of HIF-1α and CXCR4 Mitigate the Development of Radiation Necrosis in Mouse Brain. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; 15;100(4):1016-1025
24. Meinerz K, Beeman SC, Garbow JR, Ackerman JJH. Bayesian Modeling of NMR Data: Quantifying Longitudinal Relaxation in Vivo, and in Vitro with a Tissue-Water-Relaxation Mimic (Crosslinked Bovine Serum Albumin). Appl Magn Reson. 2018; 49:3-24
25. Baldelomar EJ, Charlton JR, Beeman SC, Bennett KM. Measuring rat kidney glomerular number and size in-vivo. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2018; 314(3):F399-F406
26. Church JT, Werner NL, Coughlin MA, Menzel-Smith J, Najjar M, Carr BD, Parmar H, Neil J, Alexopoulos D, Perez-Torres C, Ge X, Beeman SC, Garbow JR, Mychaliska GB. Effects of an artificial placenta on brain development and injury in premature lambs. J Ped Surg. 2018; 54(6):1234-1239
27. Beeman SC, Garbow JR. Fatty Liver Disease. In: Imaging and Metabolism, eds Lewis JS, Keshari KR. 1st Edition, Springer Nature. 2018; 223-241
28. Chondronikola M, Beeman SC, Wahl RL. Non-Invasive Methods for the Assessment of the Brown Adipose Tissue. J Physiol. 2018;596(3):363-378
29. Garbow JR, Tsien CI, Beeman SC. Preclinical MRI: Studies of the irradiated brain. 2018: JMRI. 292:73-81
30. Som A, Raliya R, High R, Reed N, Beeman SC, Brandenburg M, Sudlow G, Paranandi K, Prior J, Walter W, Habimana-Griffin L, Mah A, Garbow JR, Ippolito J, Pagel M, Biswas P, Achilefu S. Calcium carbonate nanoparticles stimulate tumor metabolic reprogramming and modulate tumor metastasis. Nanomedicine. In Revision.
31. Seo JB, Riopel M, Cabrales P, Huh JY, Andrevey AY, Murphy AN, Beeman SC, Smith GI, Klein S, Lee YS, Olefsky JM. Adipocyte Ant2 KO Improves Adipose Hypoxia, Inflammation and Insulin Resistance in Obesity. Nature Metabolism. In Press.
32. Morozov D, Quirk JD, Beeman SC. MR-based interrogation of the hypoxia-driven insulin resistance mechanism. In Preparation.
33. Morozov D, Sukstanskii AL, Beeman SC. Non-invasive quantification of lipid droplet size based on short-time-regime modeling of triglyceride diffusion within a droplet. In Preparation.
34. Beeman SC, Ciferelli V, Smith G, Yoshino J, Klein S. Insulin resistance is linked to hypertrophy-induced adipose hypoxia in humans. In Preparation.
35. Ge X, Sabo M, Tones M, Broschat K, Garbow JR, Beeman SC. MR-based quantification of the biodistribution and clearance of self-assembling magnetite microbeads in rats. In Preparation.
36. Zöllner FG, Dastrù W, Longo DL, Garbow J, Bennett KM, Beeman SC. Preclinical MR Imaging of the Kidney - Methods and Protocols for Experiments and Analyses. Springer Protocols. In Preparation.
Select first and senior author peer reviewed abstracts (*oral/educational presentation):
Beeman SC, Henriksen M, Frakes DH, Bennett KM. Counting total number of kidney glomeruli using MRI. Proc ISMRM 2010, Abstract 2685
Beeman SC, Zhang M, Wu T, Bennett KM. Measuring nephron endowment in the intact kidney using MRI. Amer Soc of Nephrology Renal Week 2010
* Beeman SC, Mandarino L, Rakela J, Bennett KM. MRI-based detection of the extracellular matrix surrounding the hepatic sinusoid. Proc ISMRM 2011, Abstract 3175.
* Beeman SC, Zhang M, Gubhaju L, Frakes DH, Bertram JF, Wu T, Bennett KM. Measuring whole kidney nephron endowment using MRI. Proc ISMRM 2011, Abstract 4130.
Beeman SC, Georges JF, L. Mandarino, J. Rakela, K.M. Bennett. MRI-based detection of extracellular changes to the hepatic sinusoid in a rat model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Proc ISMRM 2012, Abstract 4042
Beeman SC, Bertram JF, Charlton JR, Wu T, Zhang M, Bennett KM. Counting all glomeruli in mouse kidneys using MRI. Amer Soc of Nephrol Renal Week 2012 Abstract 5024
* Beeman SC, Cullen-McEwen L, Zhang M, Wu T, Baldelomar EJ, Dowling JP, Charlton JR, Forbes MS, Ng A, Wu Q, Armitage JA, Puelles VG, Egan GF, Bertram JF, Bennett KM. MRI detectable nanoparticles to measure the size and number of glomeruli in the human kidney. Amer Soc of Nephrol Renal Week 2013. Abstract 4965.
Beeman SC, Clavijo-Jordan V, Baldelomar EJ, Bennett KM. A high T1 relaxivity nanoparticle for in vivo MRI detection of kidney glomeruli. Proc ISMRM 2013, Abstract 5341
* Beeman SC, Bertram JF, Charlton JR, Wu T, Zhang M, Bennett KM. Counting glomeruli in a human transplant kidney using MRI. Proc ISMRM 2013, Abstract 5289
Beeman SC, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. T1 relaxation in the brain during breathing gas challenges. Frontiers in Biomedical Imaging 2013.
Beeman SC, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. T1 relaxation in the brain during breathing gas challenges. Proc WMIC 2013.
Beeman SC, Engelbach JA, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Towards MRI-based measurement of tissue oxygen content. Proc ISMRM 2014, Abstract 7216
* Beeman SC, Cullen-McEwen L, Zhang M, Wu T, Baldelomar EJ, Dowling JP, Charlton JR, Forbes MS, Ng A, Wu Q, Armitage JA, Puelles VG, Egan GF, Bertram JF, Bennett KM. Measuring human glomerular morphology and pathology with MRI. Proc ISMRM 2014, Abstract 7488.
Beeman SC, Osei-Owusu P, Ackerman JJH, Blumer K, Garbow JR. Towards Optimizing MRI-Based Renal Blood Flow Measurements: A Bayesian Comparison of Pharmacokinetic and Empirical DCE-MRI Models. Proc WMIC 2014.
* Beeman SC, Garbow JR, Ackerman JJH. MRI-based measurement of tissue oxygen content. Washington University in St. Louis Imaging Sciences Pathways Retreat 2014.
* Beeman SC, Shui Y, Perez-Torres CJ, Engelbach JA, Ackerman JHH, Garbow JR. Towards Distinguishing Brain Tumor vs. Radiation Necrosis via O2-Sensitive MRI. Proc WMIC 2015. Abstract 2233393.
Beeman SC, Meinerz K, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Quantitative 1H MR Oximetry. Proc ISMRM 2016, Abstract 1568.
Beeman SC, Meinerz K, Ackerman JJH, Garbow JR. Is MR oximetry ready for prime time? A proof of principle study. Proc WMIC. Abstract 2500724.
* Beeman SC, Smith G, Garbow JR, Klein, S, Ackerman JH. Towards validation and non-invasive interrogation of the hypoxia-driven insulin resistance hypothesis. Proc ISMRM 2017, Abstract 0113.
Morozov D, Sukstanskii AL, Beeman SC. Towards MR-based interrogation of the hypoxia-driven insulin resistance mechanism: adipocyte size estimation. Proc ISMRM 2019, Abstract 6621.
Morozov D, Quirk JD, Beeman SC. Towards MR-based interrogation of adipose tissue pO2: a gold standard phantom study. Proc ISMRM 2019, Abstract 6352.