Marc A. Adams, PhD, MPH
Senior Sustainability Scientist
- Postdoctoral Fellow - University of California, San Diego, CA
Cardiovascular Epidemiology and Prevention, 2011
- PhD - University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University, CA
Public Health (Health Behavior), 2009
- MPH - San Diego State University, CA
Public Health (Health Promotion), 2003
- BA - San Diego State University, CA
Health behavior change is the overall theme of my work. I am a behavioral scientist with a background in psychology and public health. My background leads me to interests that include behavioral epidemiology and development of interventions to promote physical activity, healthful eating, and other behaviors critical for prevention of chronic disease.
- Adams M.A. , Sallis J.F., Hovell M.F., Hekler E.B., Perata E. An Adaptive Physical Activity Intervention for Overweight Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. PLoS ONE. 8(12):e82901.
- Patrick K., Raab F., Adams M.A. , Dillon L., Zabinski M., Rock C.L., Griswold W.G., Norman G.J. A text message-based intervention for weight loss: A pilot study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2009;11(1):e1
- Adams M.A. , Sallis J.F., Kerr J., Conway T., Saelens B.E., Frank L.D., Norman G.J., Cain K. Neighborhood Environment Profiles Related to Physical Activity and Weight Status: A Latent Profile Analysis. Preventive Medicine. 2011;52(5):326-31.
- Adams MA, Bruening M, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hurley JC. Location of School Lunch Salad Bars and Fruit and Vegetable Consumption in Middle Schools: A Cross-Sectional Plate Waste Study. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2016 Mar;116(3):407-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2015.10.011.
- Sallis JF, Cerin E, Conway TL, Adams MA, Frank LD, Pratt M, Salvo D, Schipperijn J, Smith G, Cain KL, Davey R, Kerr J, Lai PC, Mitáš J, Reis R, Sarmiento OL, Schofield G, Troelsen J, Van Dyck D, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Owen N. Physical activity in relation to urban environments in 14 cities worldwide: a cross-sectional study. The Lancet. 2016 Apr 1. pii: S0140-6736(15)01284-2. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01284-2.
Behavior change: walking, physical activity; Environment: city designs, walkability, transit environments; Intervention design: e-Health & adaptive interventions; Theory: Operant Learning and Behavioral Economics; Measurement: pedometers, GIS/GPS; Primary prevention.
Current/Recent Grants and Projects
- Salad bars and students' fruit and vegetable consumption: a group-randomized trial with objective assessments. NIH/NHLBI, $2,843,186, Principal Investigator (multiple)
- WalkIT Arizona: Neighborhood walkability and moderation of adaptive interventions for physical activity. NIH/NCI, $2,620,000, Principal Investigator.
- Examining combined effects of walkability and recreation environments for physical activity across the life span. American Heart Association, $127,149, Principal Investigator.
- Behavioral Choice Theory Approach to Testing Exergames for Adolescent Physical Activity. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $200,000, Co-Investigator.
- IPEN Adolescent: International Study of Built Environments and Physical Activity. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, $1,898,071, Co-Investigator.
- IPEN: International Study of Built Environment, Physical Activity, and Obesity, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Co-Investigator.