Cheryl Der Ananian, PhD, MSAssistant Professor, Department of Exercise and Wellness
- Post-Doctoral Fellow - University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, 2007
Gerontological Public Health Training Program
- PhD – Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, 2005
SCHealth Promotion, Education and Behavior
- MS – Florida State University, FLExercise Physiology, 1999
- BS – University of Central Florida, FLMicrobiology and Molecular Biology, 1995
- Matthews, C.E., Wilcox, S., Hanby, C.L., Der Ananian C.A., Heiney, S.P., Gebretsadik, T., & Shintani A. (2007). Evaluation of a 12-week home-based walking intervention for breast cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer, 15(2), 203-211
- Wilcox, S., Der Ananian, C.A., Abbott, J., Vrazel, J., Ramsey, C., & Sharpe P. (2006) Perceived barriers, enablers and benefits of exercise among people with arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 55(4), 616-27.
- Der Ananian, C.A., Wilcox, S., Abbott, J., Vrazel, J., Ramsey, C., Sharpe, P.A., & Brady, T. (2006). The exercise experience in adults with arthritis: A qualitative approach. American Journal of Health Behavior, 30(6), 731-744
- Wilcox, S., Der Ananian, C.A., Sharpe, P., Robbins, J., & Brady T. (2005). Correlates of physical activity in people with arthritis: review and recommendations. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2(2), 230-252
- Adams, S.A., Der Ananian, C.A., Dubose, K.D., Kirtland, K.D., & Ainsworth, B.E. (2003) Physical activity levels among overweight and obese adults in South Carolina. Southern Medical Journal, 96(6)
Current/Recent Grants and Projects
- Perspectives of Heart Healthy Behaviors Among African American Adults in Arizona (Co-Investigator). Funded by the Arizona Department of Health and Human Services, Funding pending, anticipated start date 6/2008 ($47,582)
- Factors that influence exercise in a diverse population of people with osteoarthritis (Principal Investigator). Funded by the Midwest Roybal Center for Health Promotion, September 2006 - present (5P30AG022849-05 Sub Award to Cheryl Der Ananian, PI: Sue Hughes; $43,000)
- Fit and Strong!: Translating an Evidence-Based Multi-Component Exercise Program. (Co-Investigator, Principal Investigator is Dr. Susan Hughes) Funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, September 2007- September 2010. (Grant # 1R18DP001140-01)
- Fellow, CDC Physical Activity and Public Health Course, 2006.
- Betty Jean Hall Memorial Prize for Epidemiological Research in Osteoarthritis, 2006.
- Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society (College of Human Sciences Honor Society at Florida State University), 1997.
- Florida Undergraduate Scholars Scholarship Recipient, 1991-95.
- University of Central Florida High Achievement Scholarship Recipient, 1991-95.