Michael Hool is an accomplished venture lawyer, active technology investor and pioneer in wide variety of capital formation and entrepreneurship efforts. He is the Founder and Managing Partner of Hool Coury Law, a premier venture law firm in the Southwest. In 30 years, Professor Hool has helped launch, grow and exit more than 100 technology ventures and formed over 15 private equity funds and investment organizations. He is currently active on investment committees and boards of directors of several organizations related to capital formation, technology start-ups, and community. He organized three angel investment groups with others, which are still active in Arizona.
Professor Hool’s investments include emerging companies in the medical device, software, social media, clean-tech, and semiconductor industries. As part of these investments, he has been a senior advisor in several medical device companies, a digital healthcare company, and a healthcare outcome reporting company, among others.
Professor Hool has represented a large variety of high-profile clients in corporate transactions. Among other notable engagements, he has represented Arizona State University (Arizona Technology Enterprises) in a broad variety of technology license and spin-out transactions. His large clients have included venture capital firms, billionaire investors, and professional sports teams.
He has been a speaker and has authored authoritative papers on a wide range of entrepreneurship, venture capital, managed care, regulatory, and investing topics. Mr. Hool has a B.S. Finance, and JD cum laude, from Arizona State University where he was Executive Managing Editor of the Law Review.
Some of the organizations Professor Hool has been involved in are:
- Selection Committee, Board Member (past) Arizona Technology Investors
- Invest Southwest Selection Committee and Board Member, multiple years
- Board Member, Founding Member, Canyon Angels
- Board Member, Selection Committee, Biltmore Angel Group
- Chair, Vice-Chair, Board Member (past), Arizona Venture Capital Conference
- Board Member (past), BioAccel;
- One of Phoenix Business Journal’s 20 Top Lawyers in Arizona
- One of Phoenix Business Journal’s 20 People to Know in the Start-Up Community
- Executive Board and Charter Member and President, various years, The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE)
- Board Member (past), Phoenix Center for Community Development
- Board Member (past), Humanitarian Aid Response Teams
- Member (past), Arizona Business Leadership
- Past Chair, Financing Task Force, Phoenix Chamber of Commerce
- Member, American Bar Association, (various times) Securities Section, Intellectual Property, Emerging Growth - Ventures
- Member, State Bar of Arizona, Corporate Section, Intellectual Property.